I’ve always been a night owl-up “burning the midnight oil” and squeezing as many minutes out of every day as I possibly could. I enjoy staying up late to read, sew, write, catch up on tv, clean…pretty much anything I didn’t get around to during the day, I find myself doing after-hours. I used to be able to push it to 4am regularly, but now I’m lucky if I’m not our by 1am.
Even though I’ve always been the night owl, I find myself enjoying mornings more for various reasons:
- I love those precious moments right after my daughters wake up. I love it when they crawl into our bed and with their sleepy smiles and tousled hair, cuddle up in between my husband and me.
- Sometimes I wake up before everyone else does and those moments of solitude when I can think, read, pray or just embrace my introvert and just be silent and still are soon nice.
- Those rare times when my husband and I are both awake before the girls are and we just lay together. Sometimes we talk, sometimes we are silent. Both are perfect.
- Waking up earlier makes the day seem longer so I usually get more done, I feel better about the day as a whole, and I generally feel more successful as an adult human (like I am supposed to be).
- I can make a nutritious breakfast-which definitely sets me up for an overall healthier day.
- It’s a fresh start and a new day. How can getting to start over get any better?
I think I will always be a night-person, but I don’t detest mornings like I used to or sleep in to 11am to avoid them anymore. The morning has its own beauty about it. Everything is beginning anew and everything gets a clean slate.