Over the weekend, I was going through a bunch of old papers and deciding which ones to keep, scan, or throw away, when I came across a card my sister gave me when I was pregnant with my oldest, Sofie. As I read through the advice she gave me about pregnancy and being a mother, I reminisced about how young we were, how much we have and maybe haven’t changed, and just how time passes by so quickly. I decided to keep the card and I’ll show it to my sister when we’re old and we can laugh about all the crazy stuff we did when were were teenagers.
Until then, here is the advice on becoming a mother from my sister:
- If you need help, don’t be ashamed to ask for it. No one if perfect, and no one has ever been given a perfect mom anyway.
- Call me if you need a babysitter!
- Look into joining a MOPS group. It is a wonderful community of women who have “been there, done that”.
- DIAPER GENIE! It’s a lifesaver.
- Call me if you need a babysitter! 🙂
- Gerber Biter Biscuits are great. They help with teething, plus they taste good. (Yes, I know. I’ve forgotten snacks for me before.)
- PREGNANCY: sleep on your stomach all you can right now. After about 16 weeks, it begins to get uncomfortable.
- SEX. Have it. often. You’re already pregnant, its not like you can get pregnant again!
- If you have a craving for ANYTHING, ANYTIME (and if N doesn’t wanna get it) call me, cos I will!
- If you like soaking in warm baths, install a bar (like in the wheelchair accessible bathrooms) above the tub. It makes it much easier to get in and out with a big ole belly.
- Labor doesn’t last forever. It may seem like hell right then, but it goes away. Then you’ll be holding your beautiful baby!
- Pregnancy doesn’t last forever either. Take lots of pictures.
- Start a journal for your baby. Write down when you feel the first kick, when you find out the gender, etc…
- Sleep when the baby sleeps. Everyone always says that, so it’s easier said than done.
- …and call me if you need a babysitter!